Monday, January 11, 2010

Farmers Market

I'm about a third of the way through the bag.  I hope I judged the yarn right.   One of the colors I chose is actually a cotton instead of wool.  So it won't felt like the rest of the bag.  Now I've done this before, usually with flashy, fun materials (furry, sparkly, etc.), so I think it will work out.  But occasionally, it happens - the project doesn't turn out.  We'll see.  I think this one will be ok.  But won't know till I finish the project.

About the farmers market....  I don't think I'll be doing it after all this year.  Had too much going on last year and I'm pretty far behind in production.  I do this thing I call 'magical thinking' - its where you somehow imagine completely superhuman feats are possible.  I do this on a regular basis.  Only in later years I've started to recognize it as its happening.  I'm not sure this is helpful, although it seems like it should be.  Knowing what's happening doesn't stop it from happening, nor does it make it easier to deal with.  This time I didn't recognize it until after I started working on the felted bag I mention above.  As I began to work, reality came crashing in - it takes WAY longer to make than I remember.  It's very frustrating and disappointing.  I could always apply next year.  But this year was the first farmers market in the South Tacoma location - its possible my chances of being accepted as a vendor were better this year than ever before.  I guess vendors from other existing (already thriving) farmers markets in the area are reluctant to try to sell at a new market - never know it will flop or not.  A part of me wants to forego sleep, food and family to produce at a superhuman page to meet the challenge.  But, at least in regards to family, I'm not that selfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment